Thursday, September 20, 2012

DIY Hand-Stamped Fabric Gift Wrap

Let's combine a few of my favorite things: fabric, stamps, yellow, and gift-giving!!!

I wrote about "Give" wraps by Chewing the Cud last year. They have some great new colors out! But I wanted to try my hand at making my own. The point is reusing what you have, right? So here's what I came up with...

fabric gift wrap furoshiki DIY musubi stamped wrapping paper

What you'll need
Scrap fabric -- 28" x 28" is ideal for all-purpose wrapping, but obviously use you have
Stamps -- or some interesting object you don't mind dipping into ink
Stamp pad -- suitable for fabric (ColorBox or VersaCraft work well)
Scissors or a rotary cutter and a straight-edge

What to do
1. On a flat surface, stamp your fabric. Be as calculated or as free-form as you like.
fabric gift wrap furoshiki DIY musubi stamped wrapping paper

2. Let your ink dry completely, or heat-set by ironing the wrong side of the fabric.
3. Square off your fabric using a straight edge and rotary cutter or scissors. You can leave the edges raw to keep things simple, but I sewed them under with a straight stitch and contrasting thread.
4. Tie fabric around your package by bunching at the top and securing with ribbon, or using a Furoshiki-style wrap.
fabric gift wrap furoshiki DIY musubi stamped wrapping paper

Blogging tips